Two chapters merge to form PRSA Greater Connecticut
HARTFORD, CONN. — In an effort to better serve its current membership and the public relations community statewide, the Southern Connecticut and Connecticut Valley chapters of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) have merged to form the Greater Connecticut Chapter (PRSA CT). With a new board of energized leaders representing diverse communication backgrounds, PRSA CT serves as a valuable resource for public relations practitioners throughout Connecticut by providing networking opportunities, professional development and other resources at the local level as well as through regional and national affiliation.
“I am proud of the hard work and commitment from the newly formed board of directors and leadership team,” said Evelyn Gard, president, PRSA Greater Connecticut Chapter. “By merging both chapters into one, we’re now able to focus on better serving our members and enhancing their careers. Our members supported merging and I am optimistic we will continue to grow and offer value in the field of public relations.”
Gard, who serves as the Associate Dean of Communication & Marketing for Gateway and Housatonic Community Colleges, championed the effort to reinvigorate PRSA in the region by bringing together 15 industry leaders who shared a common vision of furthering the public relations profession in Connecticut. “By forming a leadership team, we worked to lay the foundation for the merging of the chapters, the establishment of supportive committees, and the nomination of new Board officers. It was a long time coming and overdue, but I am proud of our success,” added Gard.
The PRSA Greater Connecticut Board of Directors for 2018 is:
· President: Evelyn Gard, associate dean of communication & marketing, Gateway and Housatonic Community Colleges
· President-Elect: Derek Beere, director of client services, Mason, Inc.
· Secretary: Allison O’Leary, assistant director of integrated marketing and communications, Southern Connecticut State University
· Treasurer: Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo, vice president of admissions and marketing, Chapel Haven
· Member-At-Large: Andrea E. Kovacs, vice president for communications & marketing, Albertus Magnus College
· Member-At-Large: Alison Skratt; vice president, Community Banking strategy, insights & communications; Webster Bank
· Member-At-Large: Paddi LeShane, chief executive officer/lobbyist, Sullivan & LeShane, Inc.
Upcoming events include the chapter’s summer social on Wednesday, July 18 at the historic home of PRSA CT member Paddi LeShane and the annual Mercury Awards in October. The Mercury Awards recognize outstanding work in public relations, communications and marketing while honoring creative and strategic excellence, as well as performance, in the public relations profession. In addition, ongoing professional development programs will be offered, starting with a crisis communication and reputation management session planned for November.